The Okanagan Valley is just an hour outside of Kelowna, British Columbia, and is the home to the many vineyards in the province. When you land in Kelowna, be sure to ask your taxi driver to avoid the highway and take you through the back roads. You will see many homes with their own private vineyards and spectacular views of the mountainside and lake, it really is incredible.
Penticton and Okanagan are fairly small areas, but there are tons of things to do:
- Penticton Lakeside Resort: If you’re looking for somewhere to stay in the area, I would recommend the Penticton Lakeside Resort. It’s along the beach, has a tapas restaurant and sports bar/dining patio on the property and tons of water sports.
- Penticton River Channel: Also nearby is the Penticton River Channel; where you can bring your floating device and just float along Penticton! You float so far that there are a row of taxis that wait at the end of the river to drive you back to the beginning. It’s pretty incredible!
You really can’t go to the Okanagan without visiting the many wineries. Here are a few that are worth the visit:
1. Nk’Mip: This winery has some of the most spectacular views of the valley. Stop in here to have small bite to eat and sip on a glass of wine, while overlooking the Osoyoos Lake.
2. Sumac Ridge: If you have the opportunity to do a wine tasting here, jump at the chance. This is one of the larger wineries, and there is plenty do here than just sip on wine. Enjoy a meal, tour the caves and there are tons of things you can purchase at the gift shop.
3. See Ya Later Ranch: My personal favourite; this winery is at the top of the mountain and the views are incredible. This winery has quite the story behind it which makes it fascinating. For the wine “connoiseur” you will likely enjoy the quality of wine that See Ya Later has to offer.
If you’re in British Columbia and have some free time….visit the Okanagan Valley! Happy travels!